Welcome Come Grow with Us!

Honoring Roy Anderson

Born October 3, 1925 in Coffee County, Tennessee

Parents:  Samuel and May Anderson

He was the baby of 13 children and moved to Murfreesboro, TN in 1941.  Bro. Roy was saved and baptized in Stones River in the summer of 1946.  He was a member of Westview Baptist Church that was located where The Sword of the Lord is now.  Upon moving to Murfreesboro, he worked at the Sally Ann Bakery and afterward was employed by Jones Locker and Cold Storage where he became the manager.

Bro. Roy was ordained to preach in 1948 and graduated from Central High School in Murfreesboro May 1949.  After graduation, he attended Tennessee Temple Schools in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  He met his wife to be on July 4, 1951, and they were married on August 23, 1952.  He pastored the Rushwood Baptist Church in Murfreesboro, TN, starting in the mid 50’s.  He and Darlene were richly blessed with 6 children before Darlene’s death December 7, 1977, where she battled cancer for 11 1/2 years. He remarried April 6, 1979, to Jane Jones. They were married for almost 20 years until Jane died on March 24, 2000.

He was a man that listened to the voice of the Lord.  God put in the heart of Bro. Roy to merge with Fair Havens Independent Baptist Church which took place on September 2004.  He continued his nursing home and visitation duties and was a prudent man.  He was rightfully proud that in all of his 63 years of service he only missed 6 days and one of those days was a snow day when the church was closed.

The Lord richly blessed this man for many years for all of his faithful service and obedience.  He was a committed preacher, hospital and nursing home visitor to the sick, soul-winner that would mount a church bus with two crutches and walk to each home in the visitation program.  Sickness nor weather ever stopped this man from the commitment he made to the Lord.  He not only professed what he was but lived it in his daily life.  His legacy will continue on for “many” that he witnessed to and help lead to the Lord during his faithful years.

The Lord gave this man such great health and he took an occasional aspirin for medication…something rarely heard of today. However, on April 11, 2010, his health began to decline.  He was hospitalized and diagnosed with a bundle blockage.  A second incident took place on December 6, 2010.  He was transported to the hospital again and unfortunately was unable to continue living alone.   He was taken to Trenton, Georgia before he went home to be with the Lord on October 19, 2013, at 88 years young.